CHNA's goal is to keep Converse Heights "Safe, Beautiful, and Fun". Unlike many HOAs, we do not enact rules and guidelines for residents, rather, we embrace the eclectic nature of our neighborhood and simply seek to foster communication and friendship between neighbors and to do projects and host events that keep the neighborhood "Safe, Beautiful, and Fun."
The Converse Heights Historic District is a collection of 526 primarily single- and multi-family residential properties in the City of Spartanburg. The neighborhood is located due east of the downtown business district and was originally one of Spartanburg’s “streetcar suburbs”. The district includes 461 contributing buildings and 65 non-contributing buildings. Converse Heights is roughly bounded by East Main Street to the north, Pine Street to the west, Lawson's Fork Creek to the east, and Woodburn Road and Crystal Drive to the south.
This district, which began official development as a separate neighborhood in 1907 and continued to grow through the 1950s, includes single and multi-family residential buildings in the Queen Anne, American Foursquare, Craftsman, Spanish Mission, Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, Neo-Classical, and Minimal Traditional styles.
Today, properties within the Converse Heights neighborhood remain primarily single-family residences. There are several duplexes scattered throughout the district. There have been some homes demolished within the district and many homes have had alterations over time, but the overall character of the Converse Heights neighborhood has remained through the preservation of historic landscapes, streetscapes and architectural styles. Changes to area homes has and will continue to occur, but is being done in a sensitive manner that will continue to preserve the overall feel and style of this continually evolving neighborhood.
To reserve the covered tables at Happy Hollow Park, contact the City Parks, Recreation, and Special Events at 864-596-3105
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History (SCDAH) National Register Properties in Converse Heights Historic District
- City of Spartanburg
- Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce
- Spartanburg Convention and Vistors Bureau - Spartanburg CVB has the most comprehensive online calendar of local events
- Spartanburg County
- Spartanburg Water District
- SC State Government
- Spartanburg County Public Library
- Partners for Active Living (PAL)
- Area Churches
- Hub City Farmers' Market
- Kudzu Coalition
- Spartanburg B-Cycle
- Spartanburg Area Conservation (SPACE)
- Palmetto Conservation Foundation
- Hub-Bub / The Showroom
- Pine St YMCA
- Chapman Cultural Center
- Spartanburg County Historical Association
- History of Spartanburg from the County Library
- National Register of Historic Places Properties in Converse Heights
- Spartanburg Running Club